Friday, September 4, 2009

Cirque Du Freak-A Living Nightmare


Cirque Du Freak


A Living Nightmare


By Darren Shan



Darren Shan is just a normal boy living a normal life. He plays soccer, has a great group of friends and gets along with his parents and little sister Annie. All that changes in the blink of an eye when one of his friends steals a flyer from an older brother advertising a freak show. Intrigued by the promises of the bearded lady, the wolf man and a snake boy the boys decide to sneak out and see the show at all costs.
What happens that night at the freak show will change their lives forever.
The story grabs you from the first chapter when the narrator tells you that his name isn't really Darren Shan.

This is a true story. I don't expect you to believe me-I wouldn't believe it myself if I hadn't lived it-but it is. Everything I describe in this book happened, just as I tell it.
Everything in this book is true, except for names. I've had to change them because...well, by the time you get to the end, you'll understand.

I thought this book was great. It had me from the first chapter and kept me going to the very end. Boys will be delighted by the descriptions of the dark and mysterious freak show. It's a fast paced story that had me turning the pages to find out what happens to Darren next.
I can't wait to read the next book in the series, The Vampire's Assistant which will also be coming to theaters next month. I'm sure there will be special effects galore and Selma Hayek will be playing the bearded lady.
I recommend this book for readers 12 and up. There is a little blood and gore that goes along with any good vampire story. This book is available for check out at the Salmon Public Library.

1 comment:

  1. I heard the movie coming out near the end of Oct is based on the first three books in the series. Should be very interesting. I've never read them, but I might go back and revisit these children's books on vampires.

    ReplyDelete