Monday, March 22, 2010

CURSE OF THE BLUE TATTOO



Curse of the Blue Tattoo
Being an Account of the Misadventures
of Jacky Faber, Midshipman and Fine Lady
By L.A. Meyer
2004
488 Pages

From Inside Cover:
After being forced to leave HMS Dolphin and her true love, Jacky Faber is making a new start at the elite Lawson Peabody School for Young Girls in Boston. But growing up on the streets of London and fighting pirates never prepared Jacky for her toughest battle yet: learning how to be a fine lady. Everything she does is wrong. Her embroidery is deplorable, her French is atrocious, and her table manners-disgusting! Then there's the small matter of her blue anchor tattoo.... Will Jacky ever become a proper lady? Not bloody likely! But whether she's triumphing over her snobbish classmates, avenging a serving girl's murder, or winning over a stubborn horse that's as fast as the wind, one thing's for sure: Jacky Faber finds adventure wherever she may be.
I LOVE LOVE LOVE Jacky Faber! She is one of my most favorite heroines. Mostly because she is so completely imperfect, you can't help loving this girl. She is smart, quick witted, emotional and full of flaws. Though her adventures and mishaps Jacky grabs ahold of your heart and won't let go. This historical young adult novel is set in 1803 where Jacky finds herself enrolled in an all girl's school in Boston. Coming off a ship full of men where she learned to survive for three years leaves her ill prepared to deal with a school full of snobby girls. Quick as she can Jacky learns to navigate through art, music, equestrian, penmanship as well as making new friends. But of course Jacky just can't stay out of trouble and soon she is dodging the police while singing in pubs, fighting the school bully and solving the murder of a serving girl. This is the second book in the series of Jacky Faber and I can't wait to read about her next adventure in the third book.
I would recommend this book for ages 12 and up. It is available for check out at the Salmon Public Library

2 comments:

  1. I keep having this series recommended to me, and I keep not getting to it! Maybe one day I'll wade through all the unread books I own and get this from the library.

    I have an award for you here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have loved this series. I don't think you would be disappointed. And I know what you mean about that pile of unread books....lol.

    ReplyDelete