Friday, February 18, 2011

BEAUTIFUL

BEAUTIFUL
By Amy Reed
232 Pages
2009
From Back Cover:
There is a picture of me in their heads, a picture of someone I didn't know yet. She is not the chubby girl with the braces and bad perm. She is no the girl hiding in the bathroom at recess. She is someone new,a blank slate they have named beautiful. That is what I am now: with this new body and face and hair and clothes. Beautiful, with this erasing of history.
My Thoughts:
What if you had the chance to start over. What if you moved to a new place where you and your reputation weren't known. What if you had the chance to join any clique-would you choose the populars, the geeks, the jocks or the goths? What if you had the chance to be different than anything you have ever been before....would you take it?
Thirteen year old Cassie has moved to a new town and is the new girl-labeled the beautiful 7th grader by a group of kids she knows she should stay far away from. But the temptation to be wanted,desired and to fit in is too powerful for her to resist. Reader be warned. This is a tale of drugs, alcohol, abuse, suicide, and sex. Cassie's choices are tough to take at times. As well as situations she puts herself in. Reed's writing as been compared to the rawness of Ellen Hopkins. I definitely recommend this book for older teens. I'll be giving this book away next month as part of Lucky Leprechaun Giveaway Hop March 17th-20th. Check back for details!

1 comment:

  1. I haven't heard of this one before, but it sounds good. I like a raw, deep book every once in a while. Glad to hear that you're giving it away in March...I'll be sure to stop back. Thanks for sharing your review!

    Erin @ Quitting My Day Job

    ReplyDelete