Wednesday, June 8, 2011

REVIEW: Fall For Anything


FALL FOR ANYTHING
By Courtney Summers
Summary taken from Barnes and Noble:
When Eddie Reeves’s father commits suicide her life is consumed by the nagging question of why? Why when he was a legendary photographer and a brilliant teacher? Why when he seemed to find inspiration in everything he saw? And, most important, why when he had a daughter who loved him more than anyone else in the world? When she meets Culler Evans, a former student of her father’s and a photographer himself, an instant and dangerous attraction begins. Culler seems to know more about her father than she does and could possibly hold the key to the mystery surrounding his death. But Eddie’s vulnerability has weakened her and Culler Evans is getting too close. Her need for the truth keeps her hanging on...but are some questions better left unanswered?
My thoughts:
Why?
That is the big question that the ones left behind are left to try to answer.
So many are touched by the tragedy of suicide.
It's a tough topic that is handled well by Courtney Summers.
What I loved about this book:
Courtney Summer had created an amazing character with Eddie. She is so easy to relate to-her anger, sadness, and confusion felt so real at times it was painful to read. The rawness of Eddie's grief goes right to the heart and stays there from beginning to end. I've read quite a few mixed reviews on this book and have come to the conclusion that either you will love it or hate it. I'm not sure there is an in between.
What I didn't care for:
I think that the summary and information about Fall For Anything sets the reader up to expect a BIG twist in the story. Based on the twists and turns of other books I have read by Courtney Summers I think I was expecting the story to take a way more darker tone when the character of Culler is introduced to the story.
Although it's a great story I found myself disappointed by the BIG finish-I won't spoil anything here for people who haven't read the book. Aside from that I thought Fall For Anything was a great story.
Would I recommend this story to friends:
Absolutely! But I would warn them that there is some harsh language. And some intense moments that deal with grief.
Probably what I loved the most about this story is that we-the readers get to see Eddie as well as her mom progress through the stages of grief. We see Eddie grow, find hope and maybe peace.
Sometimes there are no answers in suicide and all we are left with are the whys. I would recommend this story to anyone-teen or adult who has dealt with suicide on any level.
Where I got it:
I bought this book at Barnes and Noble Bookstore.

No comments:

Post a Comment