Sunday, November 6, 2011

Prophecy of the Sisters-Book Review

PROPHECY OF THE SISTERS
By Michelle Zink
343 pages
2009
From Inside Cover:
Twin sisters Lia and Alice Milthorpe have just become orphans. They have also become enemies. As they discover their roles in a prophecy that has turned generations of sisters against each other, the girls find themselves entangled in a mystery that involves a tattoo-like mark, their parents' deaths, a boy, a book, and a lifetime of secrets.
Lia and Alice don't know whom they can trust.
They just know they can't trust each other.
My thoughts:
Prophecy of the Sisters is a dark fantasy filled with magic and mystery. It's the first book in a planned trilogy. The book opens with the Milthrope children standing in the rain at their father's funeral. All the more tragic because their mother died a few years earlier which now leaves them orphans and in the care of an aunt.
Shortly after her father's death Lia develops a strange mark on her wrist. In addition to strange and terrifying dreams she also notices that her twin is acting cold and distant. Soon an old book is discovered and it's revealed that Lia and Alice are part of an ancient battle that puts the sisters on opposing sides. One sister shall be the guardian of the gate-a protector while the other shall be the gateway to the Apocalypse-which will bring death and destruction.
A few twists and turns keep the reader on their toes as the story reveals more secrets.
I look forward to more character development with Lia's friends' Sophia and Luisa. I'm also interested in seeing where the relationship with Jame and Lia go. But what I'm really hoping for is a deeper look into Alice and her mind. Hopefully that will happen in the next book-Guardian of the Gate.
I enjoyed this story. The plot was engrossing and the characters were interesting. I will buy the next book in the trilogy to see where this tale takes me.
I purchased this book used from Amazon.com and I will be donating it to my local Middle School Library.

1 comment:

  1. I have the final book sitting at home waiting to be read. I actually liked book two much more than the first one.

    ReplyDelete