Wednesday, January 11, 2012

BLOOD RED ROAD-Book Review

BLOOD RED ROAD
By Moira Young
Book 1 of the Dustland Trilogy
2011
218 Pages
Saba has spent her whole life in Silverlake, a dried up wasteland savaged by constant dust storms. That's fine by her, as long as her beloved twin brother, Lugh is around. But when a monster sand storm arrives bearing four cloaked horsemen, Saba's world is shattered. Lugh is captured, and Saba embarks on a quest to get him back.
Suddenly thrown into the lawless, ugly reality of the world outside, Saba is lost without Lugh to guide her. So perhaps the most surprising thing of all is what Saba learns about herself. She is a fierce fighter, an unbeatable survivor, and a cunning opponent. Teamed up with a handsome daredevil named Jack and a gang of revolutionaries called the free hawks, Saba enters a showdown that will change the course of her own civilization.
My thoughts:
First let me say that I'm so excited that this is the first book of a trilogy. This book blew my mind. I stupidly picked it up the day after Christmas and everything in my house skidded to a halt. I couldn't put it down.
Saba's world is bleak. It's hot, miserable, and filled with dust.  Saba's family has scratched out a living in Silverlake-which dried up long ago.
Saba's whole world is rocked the day four strangers show up and destroy her family and the only life she has ever known. Saba is left to pick up the pieces and find the strength to find the brother they took.
Saba travels down a dark and violent path to find Lugh and bring him home.
Saba is the most kick ass heroine I've met since Katniss of the Hunger Games. If both of them had to compete against each other I'm not sure who the winner would be.
The relationship that I found most interesting and emotionally raw was the often rocky relationship between Saba and her little sister Emmi. I also loved Jack. The inner battle that goes on with Saba concerning him was a roller coaster ride.
I can't wait for the sequel from this brilliant author. The characters grabbed hold of me and I can't wait to catch up with them again.

No comments:

Post a Comment