Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Book Review-BEAUTY QUEENS

BEAUTY QUEENS
By Libba Bray
2011
Scholastic Press
390 Pages
Taken from Goodreads:
The fifty contestants in the Miss Teen Dream pageant thought this was going to be a fun trip to the beach, where they could parade in their state-appropriate costumes and compete in front of the cameras. But sadly, their airplane had another idea, crashing on a desert island and leaving the survivors stranded with little food, little water, and practically no eyeliner.
What's a beauty queen to do? Continue to practice for the talent portion of the program - or wrestle snakes to the ground? Get a perfect tan - or learn to run wild? And what should happen when the sexy pirates show up?
My Thoughts:
Let's start with a confession. Libba Bray and I have a somewhat tumultuous relationship.
I loved her "A Great and Terrible Beauty" series but I really didn't like or "get" Going Bovine.
I took a chance on Beauty Queens. Once again the reviews varied-people loved it or hated it.
I found myself middle of the road.
I liked Beauty Queens.
It's not boring!
It's a story that keeps you on your toes with multiple characters, a plane crash, and lots of bad guys running amok. It's a page turner with a lot of action.
I was expecting a survivor/Lord of the Flies type of story based on the cover.
Well, you know what happens when you assume....and this book goes in a completely different direction.
Even when I was annoyed with the story or a character I had to keep reading because I wanted-okay, HAD to find out how this crazy tale was going to end.
This story contains the evils of Beauty Pageants, Product Placements, Commercials/Corporate Sponsorships and Reality TV. At the same time it gives us the readers the opportunity to witness girl power, complicated friendships, compassion and tolerance. Oh, and did I mention pirates?
I finished this book cursing Libba Bray's name in one moment and praising her genius take on things the next.
See, I told you our relationship is rocky!
I believe that fans of Libba Bray's Going Bovine will love Beauty Queens.
I know that I will pick up her next book and read it regardless of cover or content. Because I'm morbidly curious that way and a part of me needs to be a part of Libba Bray's crazy world.
I would recommend this book is for readers 15 and up. It contains sex, violence and many sexual relationships.
The Salmon Public Library does have this book available for check out-located in Adult Fiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment