Friday, December 28, 2012

Book Review-THE GIRL IN THE WALL

THE GIRL IN THE WALL
By Daphne Benedis-Grab
2012
256 Pages
Summary taken from Goodreads-
Ariel's birthday weekend looks to be the event of the season, with a private concert by rock star Hudson Winters on the grounds of her family's east coast estate, and all of Ariel's elite prep school friends in attendance. The only person who's dreading the party is Sera, Ariel's former best friend, whose father is forcing her to go. Sera has been the school pariah since she betrayed Ariel, and she now avoids Ariel and their former friends. Thrown together, Ariel and Sera can agree on one thing: this could be one very long night.
They have no idea just how right they are.
Only moments after the concert begins and the lights go down, thugs open fire on parents and schoolmates alike, in a plot against Ariel's father that quickly spins out of control. As the entire party is taken hostage, the girls are forced apart. Ariel escapes into the hidden tunnels in the family mansion, where she and Sera played as children. Only Sera, who forges an unlikely alliance with Hudson Winters, knows where her friend could be. As the industrial terrorist plot unravels and the death toll climbs, Ariel and Sera must recall the sisterhood that once sustained them as they try to save themselves and each other on the longest night of their lives.

My Thoughts-
When I first saw the cover of The Girl In The Wall I assumed it was a paranormal tale, I was pleasantly surprised that this book is actually part thriller-part romance.
Author Daphne Benedis-Grab keeps the story fresh by playing off  two different points of view-one is Sera and the other is Ariel. Both girls have very different personalities and that keeps the story from lagging or getting boring. Sera and Ariel have a former friendship and a long past in common that we get bits and pieces of as the story unfolds.
The story is intense-filled with unexpected friendships and a couple of violent deaths I didn't see coming. I loved the action and the unexpected twists and turns this tale took me on. 
The only thing that made me scratch my head in confusion was Sera's inability to dial 911 from a cell phone thats' the latest and greatest in technology-HUH??? We all know that every cell phone is capable of that. This detail kinda drove me crazy because it is a major part of the story.
The romance between Sera and Hudson is a cute distraction. The story can easily carry itself without it.
Looking back I wish the story had been a chapter or two longer to flesh out the character of Nico. To me he was the most interesting character and I would have loved more details about him.
The Girl In The Wall was a suspenseful nail biter that had me on the edge of my seat from start to finish. I would love to find another title by Daphne Benedis-Grab.
This book was sent to me to read and review by FSB Associates. I will be donating this book to my local Middle School Library.

No comments:

Post a Comment