Thursday, September 7, 2017

BOOK REVIEW-THE GOOD NEIGHBOR



THE GOOD NEIGHBOR
By A.J. Banner
204 pages
September 2015
Lake Union Publishing

Amazon:
Shadow Cove, Washington, is the kind of town everyone dreams about—quaint streets, lush forests, good neighbors. That’s what Sarah thinks as she settles into life with her new husband, Dr. Johnny McDonald. But all too soon she discovers an undercurrent of deception. And one October evening when Johnny is away, sudden tragedy destroys Sarah’s happiness.
Dazed and stricken with grief, she and Johnny begin to rebuild their shattered lives. As she picks up the pieces of her broken home, Sarah discovers a shocking secret that forces her to doubt everything she thought was true—about her neighbors, her friends, and even her marriage. With each stunning revelation, Sarah must ask herself, Can we ever really know the ones we love?

My Thoughts:
I'm sooooo tired of books being compared to Gone Girl! I think from now on if  a book is compared to Gone Girl I'll just avoid it. The Good Neighbor was a quick, easy read. I think it took me two evenings to zip through it. Sadly, I was really disappointed. The main character, Sarah annoyed the hell out of me. At times I wanted to scream at her for being so clueless. Her husband, Dr. Johnny McDonald was also extremely unlikable-he's one of the suspects in the crime committed(Don't worry, that's not a spoiler) but Sarah keeps going back to how much she loves, loves, loves him. But it never felt real. All the characters in the book fell flat. Even the "twist" was disappointing because it left me scratching my head? The book ended with so many unanswered questions and loose ends. It felt like the author just wanted to hurry and wrap it up really quick and be done with it--I know how she feels. In the end I'm really glad I only spent $1.99

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry this one turned out to be disappointing. I try to take comparisons to other books with a grain of salt because I've been burned before. It's hard not to be tempted just the same though.

    ReplyDelete